It never creases to amaze me how enthusiastic Tessa is to learn new things. I thought going over the three main parts of the brain and how it and the rest of the nervous system works to control the body might not be the most exciting thing for her to learn, but she chattered about it and carted around our model brain (her "pet brain") all week long.
- Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy: Brain DVD by Disney.
- Read Think, Think, Think: Learning About Your Brain by Pamela Hill Nettleton.
- Completed Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids: How Your Body Works, Grades 1-3 "The Brain Controls the Body - Parts of the Brain," "My Brain Mini-Book" and "Extension Activities - Cell" activities (page 19) from TeacherFileBox.com.
- Examined Learning Resources Cross Section Human Brain Model and then identified and talked about the role of the cerebrum, cerebellum and brain stem.
- Tessa read Our Brains reader by Charlotte Guillain during reading.
- Read Blastoff! Readers: The Nervous System by Kay Manolis.
- Completed RSO Nervous System Lab 1: Reaction Time.
- Completed Teacher Created Resources My Body by Patty Carratello "My Brain" activity (pages 7-8).
|Tessa tested her nervous system's reaction time by attempting to grasp a ruler after it was dropped several times without warning.|
|Tessa colored and glued the brain from Teacher Created Resources "My Body" to an outline of her body that I had traced earlier onto pink butcher block paper.|
|The outline of Tessa's body. Tessa will add more body parts as we study them.|
Other Books of Interest
- Bobby Bramble Loses His Brain - Dave Keane
* RSO = R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey