Friday, May 24, 2013

Life Science, Week 24

Invertebrates - Body Characteristics

I set out to create the live observation jars suggested in Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids. After a day's attempt, I had only successfully caught worms, so I abandoned that idea. (To be fair, I did find random spiders, but I wanted orb spiders and I couldn't seem to turn up any of those.) Therefore, we used close-up pictures from books for some of our observations instead.

Quick note...the rhyme along books listed last on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were just for fun. Don't knock yourself out trying to track down those.


Monday

Tessa's not fond of soft, squishy invertebrate types. She was content in letting our subject get away this day.
Tessa's not fond of soft, squishy invertebrate types. She was content in letting our subject get away this day. 

Tuesday
While I would have preferred an orb or wolf spider for Tessa to observe, I couldn't find either of those on short notice, so I ran down into our basement right before science and snatched up the first spider I came across. Guess where that spider is now? Back in our basement...Tessa insisted on it. After all, she argued, the basement is its home. Ugh.


Wednesday
All of the ant books we ordered from the library didn't arrive in time. Ants by Melissa Stewart wasn't very informative. I suggest finding something better.


Thursday

Friday

Other Resources of Interest

No comments:

Post a Comment