Tessa learned how soil is made with some quick-and-easy hands-on activities.
- Read Soil by Chris Oxlade.
- Completed Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids: Geology, Grades 1-3 "Soil Is Made When Rocks Break Down and Mix With Decaying Plants - It's Not Just Dirt!" and "Follow Up" activities and mini book (pages 21-22).
- Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy: Rocks & Soil DVD by Disney.
|Tessa examined a cup of soil to discover what soil contains. She sorted the things she found into three piles...once living, living and nonliving.|
|The majority of what Tessa found where once living things. Among them were a decaying leaf, root fragments, an acorn and pieces of wood.|
- Read Dirt by Steve Tomecek.
- Completed Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids: Geology, Grades 1-3 "Soil Is Made When Rocks Break Down and Mix With Decaying Plants - Extension Activities" (pages 23).
|Tessa helped bury a mesh sack full of vegetable and fruit scraps in an empty plot in the garden. We'll check back in three months to see what happens when plants decay.|
Other Resources of Interest
- Dirt - Ellen Lawrence