Saturday, March 16, 2013

Life Science, Week 17

The Five Classes of Vertebrates

In the year-and-a-half that we have homeschooled, we have somehow managed to cover the five classes of vertebrates three times. Needless to say, Tessa already had a pretty good handle on the subject. In addition to reiterating the basics, I explained that the five classes of vertebrates belong to the phylum Chordata. Thus, these vertebrates are also called Chordates.

I highly recommend the What Kind of Animal Is It? book series by Bobbie Kalman. Our library didn't have the one for mammals and I felt like our lesson for that day was sorely lacking. Had I realized just how good these books were, I would have ordered it from Amazon. As it was, the weekend was upon us and there just wasn't enough time for Amazon to get it to us.

There are also Bill Nye the Science Guy DVDs (see "Other Resources of Interest" below) for each class. I originally decided against watching them because that would have been five days in a row of watching television during school time. I'm a little bummed that we skipped them, so I think I will have Tessa watch one or two episodes a week as we continue our study of vertebrates.

One more quick note. I'm not sure how many other homeschoolers visit my blog because of our use of R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey: Life, Level 1 by Pandia Press. As I mentioned in my very first life science post, it didn't work out for us to use it as our primary science curriculum. I had planned to use it as a supplement throughout the year. However, I'm finding that I use it less and less. After discovering The Mailbox supplements I mentioned in my Life Science, Week 15 post, I don't even think about RSO much anymore. The Mailbox supplements are simply a better fit for us. So, I guess this is a bit of an apology for jumping ship. I regret that I am unable to fulfill my goal in chronicling this particular curriculum.


Wednesday

Thursday
Somehow, we forgot to complete "Lizard Licked!" (pages 6 and 8, adapted for homeschool use) from Investigating Amphibians & Reptiles, Grades 1-3 by The Mailbox this day. I'm still annoyed with myself about it.


Friday


Using what she learned the past two days, Tessa sorted various types of amphibians and reptiles.

Following Monday

Following Tuesday

Following Wednesday

Following Thursday

Other Resources of Interest

* RSO = R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

No comments:

Post a Comment