Saturday, October 19, 2013

Medieval Times, Lesson 7

Vikings

It's always fun to study history's iconic civilizations. It doesn't get much more iconic than Vikings! Although we could have easily gone on for another week, I'm trying extra hard to stay on schedule this year, so I allowed only five days for our studies. I am squeezing in a little more Viking fun, though, with Viking-themed bedtime read-alouds. I have listed those at the bottom of this post.

I had really wanted to add the IMAX film Vikings: Journey to New Worlds to our lineup, but it wasn't in the cards. Our library didn't have it and the DVD is currently listed as "Very Long Wait" through Netflix...has been for months.


Tuesday

Thursday
I was drawn to this book for its many interesting photos, but the text really wasn't very fun to read aloud. I don't recommend it unless your child can skim it himself.

Following Wednesday

Following Thursday

Following Friday
I saw this Viking longhouse craft and instantly thought of Tessa who adores miniature houses and such. While a six-year-old can in no way create this project on her own, we enjoyed making it together. It was hands-on for both of us, so I wasn't able to snap many pictures. I cut out and colored (with marker) the walls and roof of the house the day before. I substituted wooden skewers for suggested balsa wood strips. I cut those down to size the day before as well. Hot glue would have made this project go a lot quicker and smoother, but I wanted Tessa to be able to help out as much as possible, so we assembled it with regular ole school glue. We couldn't get the bristle brush thatching to work out quite as directed, but we made do by using glue to attach it instead of tape.

Tessa dabbed on white tempera paint to give our longhouse a wattle and daub look. She also glued on the wooden skewers and much of the bristle brush thatching. I glued the house together and then we both tore pieces for the sandpaper grass.
Tessa dabbed on white tempera paint to give our longhouse a wattle and daub look. She also glued on the wooden skewers and much of the bristle brush thatching. I glued the house together and then we both tore pieces for the sandpaper grass. 

Tessa enjoyed dressing up our completed Viking longhouse with Playmobil accessories.
Tessa enjoyed dressing up our completed Viking longhouse with Playmobil accessories.

Speaking of Playmobil, keep an eye out for this Viking warrior from the Playmobil Series 5 mystery figures set. We haven't found him yet, but we're looking!
Speaking of Playmobil, keep an eye out for this Viking warrior from the Playmobil Series 5 mystery figures set. We haven't found him yet, but we're looking!

Bedtime Read-Alouds

* HO = History Odyssey

Looking for more Viking lesson ideas?

Check out my Vikings for Young LearnersViking Life Activity Pages, Simply Viking Play Set, and Let's Go a Viking! Word Search digital curriculum helpers!

No comments:

Post a Comment