Tessa and I are beyond excited to begin exploring space! This will be our final science unit of the year. So far, Tessa is completely enthralled. We are planning a trip to the planetarium soon.
- Read What Is the Solar System? by Carmen Bredeson.
- Completed Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids: Exploring Space, Grades 1-3 "Earth Is Part of a Solar System In the Milky Way Galaxy - Introduce the Solar System" (page 6), "Gather More Information" (page 7) and "Solar System Minibook" (page 7).
- Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy: Outer Space DVD by Disney.
- Listened to The Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System audiobook by Joanna Cole.
- Watched The Magic School Bus: Space Adventures DVD ("Gets Lost In Space!" episode) by Scholastic.
The Magic School Bus book and episode mentioned above follow the same story line. Tessa loves The Magic School Bus, so she didn't mind the overlap. If you can only get one, get the audiobook. It is better and more informative.
- Read The Planets by Gail Gibbons.
- Completed Evan-Moor ScienceWorks for Kids: Exploring Space, Grades 1-3 "Earth Is Part of a Solar System In the Milky Way Galaxy - Put the Planets in Order" (page 8).
Other Resources of Interest
- LeapReader Interactive Solar System Discovery Set - LeapFrog
- Magnetic Solar System Playset - Ata-Boy Inc.
The magnetic solar system set includes a play board underneath the magnets. Imagine the scene in the pic below without all of the planets, labels, etc. on it...just the sun, stars and orbits. (And, silhouettes for where the classic planets go.)